Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Logo Painting ( For Newbies )

This is a perfect example of what happens when you get a newbie to do complicated painting work on an old logo. On the left is a picture of the first three black coats I applied to the Glastron logo to cut the corner of having to paint the interior of the 'G.' I, then, got some glossy light-blue and light-orange spray paint (and don't forget Scotch Blue!) to paint the opposite sides of the 'G.' After about 1,000,000 pieces of tape, I finally got to spray-painting the top and bottom sections of the 'G.' I applied about 2-3 coats on and let it sit for about and hour or two. After that, it was good to go... UNTIL I realized that the border and 'Glastron' lettering was to be painted white. This turned out to be a disaster. I ended up smearing the white enamel all over the black surface which, to me, is grounds for starting from scratch once again. This is all part of the restoration process, though, I guess. Anyways, preceding my failure to paint the Glastron logo, I moved onto ripping out the rug and old paneling. At last, I got all of the insulation out. Next, me and Papa have to get some fiberglass mesh, marine plywood, and some epoxy resign for the flooring. This will ensure a nice solid floor underneath the rug. I, then,  discovered foam where there was supposed to be fiberglass. To make it better, there is a plethora of rotting wood adjacent to the transom and bilge. I figure that a Dremmel took should be able to separate the rotted wood from the useful wood. After ripping out as much wood as I could, I started on the foam insulation. It is some nasty stuff. Black dust comes out of the material when it is moved arsed to a flimsy one like the preceding owner had. Nothing personal, Matt! We tried to activate the power, as well. The lights worked for a fraction of a second and then the wire burned out. On the bright side, though, the bilge pump is operational! The hull looks pretty stable too. Anyways, I shall continue on my restoration quest on Friday. I have Memorial day off, so what better to do than restoration work?

No comments:

Post a Comment